Monday, May 21, 2012

goals and plans.

I learned a lot of things during my student teaching. Some things are obvious - like how to take attendance, count lunch money, and facilitate morning routine all at once - and others are more subtle - like the value of showing your emotions as they happen.

Without a doubt, I learned (and mastered) lesson planning during my four months in room 104. I wrote lesson plans for observations, lesson plans in bulleted lists when I was pressed for time, and lesson plans on the fly when something went awry with my kids. These days, it seems I could write a lesson plan in the blink of an eye. I can tell you with confidence that the best way to plan for instruction is to start broad and work down (using the principles of Backwards Design). Start big picture and take small steps to get there. You start with a goal and work your way down to the plans.

I taught a unit on community helpers a few months ago:

My goal? Students will understand the roles of various community helpers. Goals tend to be broad, big picture, and somewhat abstract in nature.

My plans? They varied day to day. Plans are the specific details, procedures, and how of execution. In that community helpers unit, we cut, matched, and pasted pictures. We dressed up as various community helpers. We read books and watched movies. We used puppets. We played games. Sometimes all on the same day.

Lesson plans can look a multitude of different ways, but they all end up working toward that preset goal. 

So often I use the goals and plans interchangeably in conversation; assuming that goals are the same thing as plans, but they are not the same. Goals are the big picture, broad ideas I have for my life. My goals include things like being a teacher and having a family someday. Plans are the specifics, definites, and concretes. My immediate plans include things such as going to the bank and packing a few boxes tomorrow.

I am coming to terms with the thought that goals and plans are different; with the idea that I have may have a goal, but that doesn't mean I have only one plan. Student teaching, and life, are showing me that it's good to have a goal, an end in sight. But, there is more than one way to reach the goal. There are many different plans and paths that can get you to the goal. Maybe it's my responsibility as a teacher to make a few plans, go for it, and see what happens.

My most recent goal? Become a teacher. Inspire. Empower. See differences as beautiful. Include. Be a committed and dedicated teacher to the students entrusted to me.

My most recent plans? Who knows. Open. Undecided. Unknown.


What are you goals? Your plans? Do you think there's a difference between having goals and having plans? 

No comments:

Post a Comment